Materials and Equipment
To do this experiment you will need the following materials and equipment:
- White glue (1 small bottle), such as Elmer's
- Bamboo skewers (12)
- Science Buddies Kit: The kit contains 24 skewers, enough to do the experiment twice.
- Chemicals; 12 grams (g) each of:
- Copper sulfate
- Strontium chloride
- Boric acid
- Sodium chloride
- Cupric Sulfate
- Lithium Chloride
- Sodium Carbonate
- Masking tape
- Pen or marker
- Small vials or ziplock bags for the chemicals (4)
- Science Buddies Kit: Each chemical in the kit has its own jar just large enough for the chemical plus a skewer tip. No additional vials or ziplock bags are needed.
- Vials should be fairly narrow and short; just large enough to hold the chemicals and 1 inch of the tip of a bamboo skewer.
- Ziplock bags should be small; 2" x 2" or 2" x 3" would be ideal.
- Chemical goggles
- Disposable latex or nitrile gloves
- Paper towel (4 sheets)
- Matches (1 box); the strike on box kind work best but any type will do
- Solid fuel tablet (1); Esbit 14 g tablets
- Science Buddies Kit: The kit contains 2 tablets, enough to do the experiment twice.
- Aluminum foil
- Hard nonflammable outdoor surface like a sidewalk, driveway, or brick/concrete patio
- Container of water
- Heat resistant bowl (1); a soup or cereal bowl would work well
- Lab notebook
- Optional: video camera or digital camera and tripod
- Optional: flashlight
(n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Phys_p058.shtml